Monday, January 14, 2013

Interview with Stacey Campbell

For most of you, if Stacey Campbell's name rings a bell, you're probably thinking, "Oh, didn't she used to play guitar and backup vocals for The Crüxshadows?" Yes, that is correct. But what a lot of you may not know (unless you read my previous article about her) is that she has been making a fair amount of music since leaving The Crüxshadows. Her project, Spider Lilies, has been going on for a while now. But you don't really need me to explain it to you again, do you? Why have me talk about it when Stacey can talk about it much better than I can?


Audio Cantrips: Although the intention of this interview is to be forward-looking and talk about your new stuff, admittedly, a lot of people out there may not even know you've been making music or doing anything at all since your exit from The Crüxshadows. Could you briefly explain in just a general sense what you've been doing since then?

Stacey Campbell: I resurrected the Spider Lilies project because I was inspired to finish some of my own musical ideas, and create new songs, with the ability to see them through to the end.  The Spider Lilies has gone through some lineup changes, and I think each member has had a positive influence on the Spider Lilies sound.




Audio Cantrips: I've been listening to "Serene", and I can't help but to think there's a bit of industrial influence in it. There's a bit more scratchiness and buzzing to the background, and from 0:07 to 0:13, that almost reminded me of something I would have heard from a slower nineties-style Nine Inch Nails song. Am I completely off my rocker here? Even if you don't believe there's a distinct industrial influence, it does sound more electronic than what I've been used to hearing from Spider Lilies. Is that a new trend?

Stacey Campbell: I've always liked industrial music, but it doesn't come through in my music so much, maybe because I incorporate such strong melody.  I am honored that you hear some 90's NIN influence!  I love Nine Inch Nails for their harsh electronic sound, but sexy rhythms.  For Serene, I used dubstep drum loops, but nothing too extreme.  Serene has kind of a sexy rhythm too, I think.

Audio Cantrips: Is it safe to assume there's a new album coming in the near future? If so, what can you tell us about it?

Stacey Campbell: I am working on some ideas for a new album, but I can't say when it will be finished.  Serene will probably included.  I have another danceable track I've been working on, and a ballad.

Audio Cantrips: What can you tell us about the inspirations for your music? In particular, I'm very curious about about the lyrics. Many of your songs seem to be about pain or revenge. Are these songs derived from personal experiences?

Stacey Campbell: Yes, they are mostly derived from personal experiences, or an interpretation of an experience that didn't happen to me, but I found inspiring.  Sometimes I take inspiration from other art and string it together in some kind of poetic collage, to ultimately form some kind of surreal vision or journey.  My hope is that even if I don't spell out a situation entirely, the listener will feel and imagine things as they listen, and then my songs will develop a personal significance for them.

Audio Cantrips: I'm under the impression most people are capable of reading your "About" section on the band's Facebook page, so I won't ask you about who your influences are musically. But I was wondering if you could tell us a bit more depth in how they influence you. What would you say you like about what other musicians do and try to incorporate in your own work?

Stacey Campbell: Some artists are strong lyrical influences certain artists like The Cure, Stevie Nicks, Sinead O'Connor, Ego Likeness, and Nine Inch Nails encourage me to try to open up and write lyrics that have poetic quality, but are also raw and truthful as possible, even if the truth is hidden in metaphor.  A lot of the darkwave/EBM influences I've listed (VNV Nation, Covenant) encourage me to create rhythms that make people want to dance and move, to make the live experience fun and exciting for us and for the audience.  Many of these bands are ones I sing along with in my car.  I often think of it as a sort of vocal training, so of course they are influences!

Audio Cantrips: I haven't heard of you all touring much as of late. You've only played a few live shows right around the DC area. Do you intend to go on tour anytime soon? If not, do you intend to do more live shows locally, at least? What about Dragon*Con?

Stacey Campbell: I would like to finish the next album, and plan more of a tour when its done.  Until then, we've been playing shows every so often around the region.  The DC metro area is a good place for random shows, because we have DC, Baltimore, Virginia, and the New York metro area to book, without having too far to travel in a short amount of time.  We play whenever there's a good opportunity that we are able to take.  We still have to work music into our lives with full-time regular job schedules, and Chad lives a few hours away, so scheduling can be challenging.  It's also difficult sometimes to switch gears from writing to performing, psychologically and temporally.  Practicing, planning, promoting, booking and performing live shows is a different mindset than dreaming and writing, so if possible, I prefer to get the writing done first, and then take the results on tour to share with the world.  It just takes longer that way.  Sorry about that.

Audio Cantrips: You all did a gig at the Multiple Sclerosis Fantasy Ball in October 2012. It was part of a major event for charity, and there were a number of bands there. Could you tell us a bit more about your show there and what it was like?

Stacey Campbell: The show was a lot of fun, and for a good cause.  We played a short set, and had some unusual technical difficulties resulting from interference with my wireless microphone.  Even so, it was a great experience, and we'd love to do it again! I still have tons of pictures I need to post from the ball.

Audio Cantrips: What has been your most memorable Spider Lilies live event?

Stacey Campbell: DragonCon, definitely.  It was fantastic to be up on stage with Rachel McDonnell again for that show.  The crowd was excellent, and filled with some of our biggest fans and dear friends.

Audio Cantrips: Finally, what are your future plans for the short and long-term?

Stacey Campbell: I'm not sure whether these goals will end up as short or long-term achievements, but I'd like to finish the next album, do a short tour and more shows in the region to support it, and build up our live show with more members and perhaps some enhanced visuals.  Then... do it all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment