Sunday, December 23, 2012

My opinions on I:Scintilla's "Skin Tight"

So, Skin Tight...


I:Scintilla officially put out their newest single on 12-12-12, along with uploading the music video for the song on YouTube. You could have gotten the song months earlier though if you bought it from Sounds from the Matrix 013, and a number of people were exposed to the song by having seen I:Scintilla perform at Dragon*Con 2012. People were interested in the new Skin Tight single not only for the original version though, but for the remixes from The Luna Sequence and Psy'Aviah.

I have no reservations about saying how much I love this single. I already owned the Sounds from the Matrix version of the song, so I didn't need an exact copy. I bought the remixes a la carte, and I must say that anyone who got the single did very well for their money spent.

First, if you didn't already have the original version of the song, you get it here. The original version has that deep, kind of sultry, yet somewhat threatening feel. It has a hint of background scratchiness and vocal screeching to add texture, and you get a feeling that the band is playing different points around you, almost like it's subtly trying to tell a story.

The remix by The Luna Sequence brings a different feeling, one of much more powerful urgency. While the original version gives off a feeling of a desperate defense or escape, The Luna Sequence's remix makes you feel like you're in a decisive battle for all the marbles. There is a lot of distinct fast-paced electronic clinking and clanging in this version, and the guitar sounds slam down in just the right ways to make that feeling of grandeur.

Last, but not least, Psy'Aviah's mix gives a completely different feeling from the other two versions. This mix feels cold and urban, almost like the song is being performed in a seedy, dark alley somewhere in the downtown of a cruel, uncaring city. The song maintains a more subdued and slightly depressing feel throughout. If you've ever listened to Psy'Aviah's own music, this mix gives off a similar vibe to "Virtual Gods".

I can't pick anything I really dislike about this single. If you're an I:Scintilla fan, you definitely don't want to miss out on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment