Monday, December 31, 2012

Why I:Scintilla matters

If you want the reason why I'm sitting here, today, typing post after post on this site and why I have the full speed ahead rekindled passion about the goth-industrial scene that I have now, this video was it. I mentioned in my Alice in Videoland post from two days ago that I was trying to fight my way out of a rut back in 2011, and getting into AiV started the ball rolling in regard to my being able to enjoy the scene again. But if my getting into AiV was what let off the spark, I:Scintilla was what poured gasoline all over it.


Energetic. Melodic. Sultry. Powerful.

Up to that point, I hadn't seen a video like "Swimmers Can Drown" in all my time being into this type music. I hadn't heard anything like this, either. I had to look up these people just to make sure this was actually industrial. It was almost like I was listening to pop, but this wasn't the pop like you hear on the radio. And this wasn't futurepop. I had been into bands like Covenant and VNV Nation for a long time before this. No, this was definitely something else, and I almost fell out of my chair watching it.

It was like I had been walking through a desert, and I finally found the basin that I had been looking forever to find. And then I reached the basin, tasted the water, and I knew I found the real thing. This was no mirage.

I needed more and more and more and more.

I hopped from "Swimmers Can Drown" to "Cursive Eve" to "Ammunition" to "Havestar" to "Capsella Bursa Pastoris", and I just couldn't help myself. It was like these people had invaded my brain, knew exactly what I needed to hear, intentionally hid themselves from me for nine years, and then finally revealed themselves to me at exactly the right moment. But even the band itself could not produce all I needed to stay satisfied. I had to look for more like them. I had to see if other bands existed to ease the hunger that I didn't even realize that I had until then.

I have yet to find another I:Scintilla, and I'm not sure such a thing exists. Over time, I found a lot of bands that Pandora and last.fm told me were similar, and I even enjoy a significant number of those bands and musicians. But there is only one I:Scintilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment