Saturday, December 22, 2012

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

So, this is my first post. I wasn't sure how I wanted to start this blog, because there were so many topics I really could discuss. Should I just go right into music news and opinions? Should I introduce the purpose of the blog? Should I introduce myself? Should I just start rambling relentlessly?

Instead of worrying about those questions though, maybe the best thing to do would be to just talk to you, the reader. I'm making this blog with two stakeholders in mind. One, I'm doing this for me, because I feel like I have plenty to say about the music that I've grown to really enjoy and show some level of identity alignment. But two, I'm also doing this for you, the reader. I want to believe that what I have to say will benefit you in some way, whether it brightens your day, makes you think, gives you a platform to argue on the Internet, or otherwise brings you something worthwhile. Am I under the delusion that you will hang upon my every word for the definitive verdict on everything in the goth-industrial-electronica scene? Absolutely not. My main goal is simply to at least provide you with unique, novel, and interesting thoughts about the things I like (and things I don't).

Speaking of things I like, the overwhelming majority of music that I like comes from, speaking very loosely, the overall goth, industrial, and electronica genres. The scope of this blog is to talk about music in those very general categories. In this post, I'm not going to go into a more in-depth discussion of the details of exactly what I like the most (There will be plenty of time to do that later.), but it's safe to say that if I talk about Unter Null, it's a lot safer of a bet that I'll talk about, say, KMFDM as opposed to Nicki Minaj. Of course, a big hint to figuring out what shivers my timbers would be to look at the links list on the side.

So, keep checking the blog for updates. I hope you enjoy what I have to share. To end this groundbreaking post, I figure I'll share a song that I've been really digging lately:


Erica Dunham has a side project, Stray, that is supposed to be the expression of post-fury despair that complements the anger that Unter Null shows off. This song, "No Vacancy", comes from her second Stray album, Letting Go. I absolutely love the instrument choices, particularly the sitar, against the synths. The vocals give off an echo that sounds a bit like she's singing from the bottom of a well or down a dark tunnel, and that's exactly the effect that is necessary for a melancholy song about regret and confusion like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment